CHOCOLATE AND BEYOND – A SWEET WAY TO SUPPORT ST. JOHNS COUNTY SENIOR VOLUNTEERS, STUDENTS AND TEACHERS
The 28th annual Chocolate and Beyond St. Johns county fundraising event supporting RSVP (Retired and Senior Volunteer Program) and hosted by TASK (Teacher's Aiding Student Knowledge), will be held on February 27, 2021 in the parking lof of First Coast Technical College in St. Augustine from 2-4 p.m.
Chocolate and Beyond is a community fundraising event supported by sponsors, culinary artisans (who donate delicious fare to sample), and paying guests. We will also be hosting an online auction. Funds allow RSVP to recruit, professionally train, place and recognize its volunteers as they serve students in the St. Johns County School District.
Impacted areas include:
• Tutoring 1st – 5th grade students and mentoring K-12th grade students.
• Providing literacy enhancement to pre-kindergarten students.
• Assisting in the summer reading program for 2nd grade students.
• Assisting in projects such as a food drive, writing to seniors in nursing facilities, and providing special thank you notes and cards to nurses in the St. Johns County School District.
Results of the 2019-2020 school year included:
• 544 students received services from RSVP volunteers during the 2019-20 school year.
• 78% of pre-kindergarten students with reading needs showed literacy gains by year's end.
• Testing and evaluation results showed that 178 of 248 (72%) students receiving tutoring services in reading and/or math made academic gains.
• The Summer reading program helped students become more prepared for the upcoming school year.
• 28 students received mentoring services, and many increased academic engagement.
For the 2020-2021 school year, volunteers are serving remotely. They continue to provide mentoring to students, tutoring to 1st-5th graders, and reading with pre-k students. Although COVID-19 has presented many challenges, volunteers have gone above and beyond to serve students in the St. Johns County School District.